Sometimes the ugliest cake batter turns out to be delicious……
Glazed Pineapple Carrot Cake
Author: Vintage Dolci
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup oil (I used olive oil)
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 can (8½ oz) crushed pineapple, well drained
- 2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1 cup coarsely chopped nuts (almonds, pecans, or walnuts)
- 1 cup coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup butter
- 2 tsp light corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Sift flour, measure, and sift with sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs together with the oil, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- Add egg mixture to dry ingredients all at once and mix until smooth.
- Mix in pineapple, carrots, nuts, and coconut.
- Pour into a lightly greased and floured 9x13 inch baking pan.
- Bake in 350* oven for 45 minutes, or until center springs back when touched.
- Remove cake from oven and lightly prick it all over with a fork.
- Slowly pour hot buttermilk syrup over the cake.
- In a medium saucepan combine all syrup ingredients.
- Bring to boil over medium heat and boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove sauce from heat and add ½ tsp vanilla.
- Pour on cake as directed.
You can easily halve this recipe. Instead of 3 eggs you can use 2 and it will still turn out delicious. You may want to make the full recipe of Buttermilk Syrup however, since you don't want to run low on the syrupy glaze!