The first of many recipes from the Box 3 Project where I plan to bake my way through a great recipe box filled with vintage goodness, Hazelnut Date Cookies are super easy and aren’t too sweet. The hardest part was cutting the dates by hand but that was only because I was feeling a little lazy. Date pieces taste like chewy raisin pieces and you could probably substitute raisins easily if you don’t feel like chopping anything except the nuts.
My husband eyed the cookie dough rather suspiciously as I was making and baking, reminding me that a date was what killed the little monkey in Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. One of my favorite movies by the way, but as I wasn’t planning on using poisoned dates in this recipe – nor should you – then I was pretty sure it would be ok. I believe it was his way of saying “why are you baking with damn dates?” which was echoed by my mini-me who piped up and said “when are you making the cookies with chocolate in them?” looking rather alarmed and confused, to which I realized sometimes you just can’t win. Both ate the cookies when finished, by the way. Both liked them. Redemption complete.
The three women in the photograph for these cookies are (left to right): Sophia, Lena, & Anna Broker. Lena has written on the back of this photo postcard:
Dear Cora, Got your letter yesterday. Am coming on the 30th and you wish if all goes as I’ve planned, and God is willing. Will leave St. Paul on Wed. Eve. Margaret and the children came this a.m. Seems good to see them, and won’t it seem good to see you! Margaret thinks I’m very sensible to take a trip to Ohio, and tells me to stay at least a month. Will see about that however. Lovingly, Lena.
I love it! I’m happily dorky that way. And I may start ending my e-mails with Lovingly, ……
These are perfect for having with tea and coffee, even better if you’re watching something tea-worthy like Downton Abbey, and better yet if you glaze with a little powdered sugar, orange juice glaze (with a little orange zest included) to add a bit more sweetness.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ cup margarine or butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. grated orange or lemon peel (or more, to taste)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- 1½ cups roasted hazelnuts, chopped
- 1¼ cups snipped pitted dates
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, and a dash of salt.
- Beat margarine or butter with an electric mixer on low for 30 second.
- Add sugar, beat till fluffy.
- Add egg, peel, and vanilla. Beat well.
- Stir in juice, then flour mixture.
- Stir in chopped nuts and dates.
- Drop by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart onto greased (or non-stick) cookie sheet.
- Bake in a 350* oven for 10-12 minutes or till edges begin to brown.
- Makes 48 cookies.